Sophisticated Analytical Instrument FacilitiesThe Department of Science and Technology (DST) is providing facilities of sophisticated analytical instruments to researchers through its Sophisticated Analytical Instrument Facilities (SAIF) Programme so that the non-availability of these instruments in their institutes may not come in the way of scientists in pursuing R&D activities requiring such facilities and they are able to keep pace with developments taking place globally. Eighteen Sophisticated Analytical Instrument Facilities (SAIFs) which provide sophisticated analytical instruments to users are functioning at IIT, Chennai; IIT Mumbai; CDRI Lucknow, Panjab University, Chandigarh; NEHU, Shillong; IISc Bangalore, AIIMS New Delhi, Guwahati University, Guwahati; IIT, Roorkee, C.V.M., VallabhVidyanagar, Gujarat, STIC, Cochin, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur,Shivaji University, Kolhapur, Indian Institute of Engineering Science & Technology (IIEST), Shibpur, IIT Patna, MG University, Kottayam, Karnataka University,Dharwad, Guru GhasidasVishwavidalaya, Bilaspur. SAIFs mostly housed to high-end equipments such as SEM, TEM, EPMA, HR-MS, NMR, EPR, X-Ray Facilities, Thermal Analyser etc. which are normally not available at many academic Institutions due to their high cost.
Annually, about 10,000 scientists/users are utilizing these facilities at various SAIFs across the country. Besides this, the SAIFs regularly organize short term courses/training programmes on use and application of various instruments and analytical techniques to create awareness among the users about them and on maintenance/repair/operation of instruments for technicians.
Objectives of the SAIFs
- To provide services of facilities of sophisticated analytical instruments to scientists and academicians from academic institutes, R&D laboratories and industries to enable them to carry out measurements for R&D work.
- To acquire and develop capability for preventive maintenance and repair of sophisticated instruments.
- To organize short term courses/workshops on the use and application of various instruments and analytical techniques.
SAIFs across the countryPresently there are 18 SAIF Centres are functioning across the country as they are located in the Map given below: -
- SAIF, IIT- Madras, Chennai 0 bytes. saif.iitm.ac.in
- SAIF, IISc., Bangalore0 bytes sif.iisc.ernet.in
- SAIF, IIT-Bombay, Mumbai0 bytes www.rsic.iitb.ac.in
- SAIF, AIIMS, New Delhi0 bytes http://www.aiims.edu/en/departments-and-centers/central-facilities.html
- SAIF, CDRI, Lucknow 0 bytes41 KB – http://www.saiflucknow.org
- SAIF, Guwahati Univ., Guwahati 0 bytes www.gauhati.ac.in/technology-Instrumentation%20and%20USIC.php
- SAIF, Punjab Univ., Chandigarh0 bytes ucim.puchd.ac.in
- EPMA Facility, IIT Roorkee www.iitr.ac.in/centers/IIC/pages/Organisation+Home.html
- SAIF, NEHU, Shillong0 bytes www.nehu.ac.in/Services/SAIF
- SICART, CVM, Vallabh Vidyanagar0 bytes www.Sicart.res.in
- SAIF, Kochi http://www.sticindia.com/saif_instruments.html
- SAIF, Rajasthan University, Jaipur
- SAIF, IIT Patna
- SAIF, Shivaji University, Kolhapur
- SAIF, Karnatak University, Dharwad
- SAIF, GGD Vishwavidalaya, Bilaspur
- SAIF, IIEST, Shibpur
- SAIF, M.G. University, Kottayam
General InformationThe facilities provided by the SAIFs may be utilized by any user/organization on payment of nominal charges. The details about the procedure for using the facilities and the charges for sample analysis, information about short term courses/training programmes/workshops etc. can be obtained from the respective Heads of the SAIFs or the websites of the Facilities.
For more information contact:
R&D Infrastructure Division
Department of Science & Technology
New Mehrauli Road