Sunday 29 July 2012

Organizational communication barriers Weak delivery

It doesn't matter how important or impressive the subject of your communication is, if you deliver it without any 'punch' you will not get as many people to take your desired action as you would like.
A weak delivery is like the very funny joke with the badly-told punchline --- it is not as funny or as memorable as you remember the original to be.
My mother is a shocker when it comes to jokes. I remember one evening she was telling me a joke and, having successfully gotten all the way through the lead up, couldn't remember the punchline. She fumbled and stumbled her way, but couldn't get me to laugh. I couldn't see what the joke was. So she rang the friend who told her the joke and got HER to tell me the punchline. What was incomprehensible and unfunny suddenly became extremely funny.
It's all in the delivery.
It is important to not get confused between delivery and presenter. I know of one English businessman, Richard Branson, who is a shy and reticent public speaker. Yet I have seen audiences hang on his every word.
Branson may not be a powerful orator, but his message and its structure are very sound.
Similarly, I know of several businessman who are extremely confident in the public's gaze, very happy to be in front of an audience. But because their presentations and communications lack a suitable structure, they 'lose' their audience within minutes, the audience becoming increasingly confused and eventually frustrated by not being able to understand clearly and easily what on earth these businessmen are on about.

No comments:

Post a Comment